Wednesday, May 5, 2010

OMG

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in YOUR sight, O LORD, my ROCK and my REDEEMER."
Psalm 19:14

Today random thoughts have been bouncing off the walls of my mind. I don't know why. Sometimes there are just days like that. What I ended up kind of zoning in on was the phrase, "Oh, my God." I don't much like it. And that has nothing to do with God, although everything has to do with God. You hear it as an exclamation of surprise, as a venting of frustration, as a fit of anger. It is used as a response to almost any given emotion at any given time by adults, teens, and children. It can be a habit, just something we say. I'm no goody two-shoes - I've said it myself. But I don't like it because it uses the name of God in a non-honoring way.

Here's my next random thought. I don't know what brought it to mind, but I was thinking about the time Mark had to go to St. Louis for a week. I remember picking him up at the airport. I was standing in front of the security gates, anxiously waiting for him. Do you know that feeling of anxious expectation, that you can just hardly wait for something to happen? That was what I was feeling.

Now here's my last random thought. (I really am going somewhere with this!) I was thinking about God and His Word, and how I just long to know more of Him, and have a more intimate personal relationship with Him. That's when it hit me that every morning when I get out of bed, I want to feel anew that longing, that feeling of anxious expectation. That feeling of I just can't wait to meet with God this morning - to give Him glory, tell Him my deepest thoughts, listen for His voice, and to stand in awe. When I capture that feeling, that urgency - that should be the time to exclaim, "Oh, my God!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment