Sunday, December 20, 2009

Goodbye

“A friend loves at all times; he is there to help when trouble comes.” Proverbs 17:17


Today is a day that I have always known would come, but that does not make it any easier. Today my Pastor preached his last sermon at my church and this week he and his family will load up their belongings and head for a new home, a new church, a new life in Plainfield, Indiana. I am so sad to see them go, but also know that they did not make this decision lightly. This is God’s plan for their lives as evidenced by the many details He has worked out for them – all because they answered His call.

Throughout his nine-plus years here I have experienced both the depths of despair and the heights of joy in my life. He has seen me through much of that and has been a compassionate counselor, a wise teacher, and most important – has come to be my trusted friend. I will miss him so much. He has helped me move a little further down the spiritual maturity road and for that I am grateful. Also during his time here I have come to realize and so appreciate the sacrifices a pastor’s wife makes supporting her husband as he ministers to his (sometimes needy) flock. She too is a treasure and I will also miss her greatly.

It’s very hard to say goodbye, but instead of feeling so sad about them leaving, I should focus on thanking the Lord for the gift of having known them. Changing my perspective helps comfort me – knowing that God has both them and me in the right place, at the right time because He does not withhold anything that is for our good. What a wonderful God!

So to my friends – Dusty, Debbie, Darci, DeAnn, and Denae – I wish you farewell. I will always think of you fondly, remembering your wonderful friendship and servant hearts. Love and blessing to all of you as you begin a new journey!


“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened!”
Dr. Suess

1 comment:

  1. We will and do miss you terribly. You have been both a blessing and encouragement to our family. We will treasure all the time we had in Hutchinson and look forward to times we meet again.

    ReplyDelete