Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to GOD. And the peace of GOD, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in CHRIST JESUS."
Phillipians 4:6-7


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I have so very much to be thankful for. I shared earlier this month that there was a time in my life that it was difficult to just get through the day, much less, give thanks. But I have learned that regardless of the challenges that life brings, I have so very much for which to be grateful.

Several years back, I was serving about once a month as a relief house mom for an organization that served pregnant teens. I always took the girls to church and I was there on the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving. The Pastor’s sermon was related to Thanksgiving. I really don’t remember anything he said in that sermon, but I do remember what happened at the end of that service. The Pastor invited people to share what they were thankful for. People stood and stated thankfulness for many of the things one might expect - for family, jobs, their church, Gods blessings, etc – and I too, am grateful for all of those things. But as I was sitting there listening, I had a wave of realization wash over me of what I was also to be thankful for. I knew deep in my soul that I was supposed to be thankful for the hard times because they were what brought me closer to God.

I can choose to have an attitude of thankfulness and focus on what is right in my life, on who God is, and what He has done for me. Thanksgiving is a nice event, but I don’t need a special day to thank the Lord!!

God is working in my life. I don’t always understand it, but I know that He will use it all for His glory. And that is the best reason for giving thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment