Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hope

"To everything there is a season . . . . "Ecclesiastes 3:1

Every year about this time, hope sets in. Hope that maybe this will be the year I finally claim victory over the battle of the weeds and Bermuda grass in my garden. I don't know if I will ever win, but Spring has a way of creating optimism - even after I look around the yard and see all of the obstacles.

Now I'm a save the earth type of gal. I recycle, I compost. But I know that if I am going to have any hope of conquering the jungle out there that I call a garden, it is going to require chemicals - lots of chemicals. Most of my meager garden budget for this year is probably going towards the purchase of Round-up, Kilz, and Over-the-Top Weed and Grass spray.

So shovel in one hand and sprayer in the other, here I go. Here's what I got done on Thursday, a beautiful day before it started snowing again on Friday! (Ah, Kansas!)

This is an area on the north side of the house in the front yard. It hasn't had any attention for a couple of years. Lovely! The shrub on the left is a red twig dogwood that I raised from a bare root. I was so proud that I got it to grow, but it has always been unruly and blocked the sunlight from reaching the barberry bushes in front of it. It's outta here!



Over in the shadow on the right is a barrel planter. The Bermuda grass was even growing out of there. I'm sure the landscaper that did some work in our back yard last year was really impressed as he walked by it every day!


Dogwood gone! I'll finish it off with the chainsaw next week. Now maybe those shrubs will have a fighting chance.


After raking and pulling lots of grass - gorgeous! I will "shop" in the backyard to fill in those bare spots.


No more Bermuda grass in the barrel. As soon as some place is having a "fill a flat" sale, I will plant some cheery, colorful annuals in there.


Project #1 finished - I am exhausted, but happy with even a little bit of progress. As soon as the snow melts I'll be on to project #2 (of a gazillion!)





I am linking up this week with Susan @ Southern Daydreamer. Check out the wonderful outdoors!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it in full bloom! Keep the pictures coming. I love your garden.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you were a busy bee! I can't wait to see the finished garden also. Hope you have fun!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete