Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recipe #3

Today was a hot time in the ol’ kitchen for me. Did some bulk cooking and it was also new recipe day!! I decided to cook up a 5 lb package of ground chuck and a 3 lb package of chicken and bag it up in meal-sized packages. One hour and 15 minutes later I had 6 packets of chicken and 8 packets of hamburger (kept some hamburger out for the new recipe) and into the freezer it all went.
This will be so great for those days I’m too busy (lazy) to thaw, cut, and cook. And it looks so great up there in the freezer nestled up next to the Skinny Cows!

Next, I started on Recipe #3:

TACO SOUP

Table of Contents:
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans red kidney beans
2 cans corn
1 can tomatoes with diced chiles (I used Rotel – Original)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 packet taco seasoning (I used Taco Bell brand)
1 packed ranch dressing mix (this sounded weird, but tossed it in)
1 lb hamburger
Topping: shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips (optional)


How To:
Brown hamburger, drain fat and place in crock-pot. Sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat. Drain and rinse beans and add to pot. Add corn and tomatoes (don't drain). Stir all together; cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.

The Result:
This recipe was a little disappointing. I was expecting to taste something more taco-y, but it really just tasted like chili. But, at least it was very good chili. Another thing, looking back, what was I thinking making a recipe that used 8 cans for just Mark and me??? We’re going to be eating this stuff forever!

1 comment:

  1. I have a really good tacoy tasting soup that requires one can of green beans (drained) , one can of corn , one can of beans ( i use pintos), one package of taco seasoning and one pound of ground beef. It would be perfect for the two of you and my girls love it. Serve with cheese and corn chips! Love you

    ReplyDelete