Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The End Is Near

The Resolution finish line is in sight!!!!!!  

Here is recipe #21 that I made yesterday and an extra old standby recipe:

Hearty White Chili

Table of Contents:

- 3 c. cooked, shredded chicken (I used a package of 5 chicken thighs)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can chopped green chiles
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 whole Jalapeno, sliced (I did not use)
- 1-½ T. ground cumin
- ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- white pepper, to taste
-1 c. milk
- 2 T. Masa (corn flour) OR cornmeal ( I actually had some Masa)
- grated Monterey Jack cheese

How To:
Cook and debone chicken.  In a large stock pot  saute onions and garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes; add chopped green chiles.  Pour chicken broth into the pan and add rinsed beans.  Add sliced jalapenos. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Cover and reduce heat to low.  Cook for 2 hours or until beans are done. Halfway through the cooking add cooked chicken.  When beans are tender, mix milk with masa (or cornmeal) and pour into the chili. Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust to taste, adding cayenne pepper and paprika if desired.  Add some Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, extra cheese—even pico de gallo and guacamole, if desired. 

The Outcome:
As I was cooking this and tasted the broth, I thought I was not going to like the seasonings in this chili.  But in the end, as all of the spice flavors blended, it was delicious and we will definitely have this soup again. (Probably tomorrow - lots of leftovers!) I ate mine just topped with a little cheese, but The Drummer Guy likes a little extra kick.  He added a little Cayenne red pepper to his.  I had to refill his drink when I refilled his bowl.


I served this up with my favorite cornbread recipe:

Quick and Easy Cornbread

- 1 pkg. Jiffy cornbread muffin mix
- 1/2 pkg. yellow cake mix (whatever is cheapest works fine)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. milk

Mix all ingredients together until well blended.  Pour into greased 2 quart baking dish.  Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  (May need to cover with foil for last 10 minutes to prevent top from over-browning.)  This is a delicious cake-like texture cornbread. 

1 comment: