Thursday, October 7, 2010

Therapy

It's been a challenging summer.  The Drummer Guy has been a little off his groove (drum humor).  He is on some routine medications that he has taken for years and back in the spring, a decision was made to try to a different medication.  I told his sister that he has been like the poster child for every medication related side effect one could experience for this drug.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a medication one could just start and stop.  He had to titrate on to the drug, wait for it to build up in his system to evaluate the effect, see that it made him feel terrible, then wean back off.  It has been physically draining for The Drummer Guy and emotionally draining for both of us. But God has seen us through it and he is good as new - maybe better!!!

I haven't done any blogging over the summer, but it seems that  I used cooking as my therapy to see me through this time.  I looked through my recipe stack and see that I have about 10 new recipes that I tried over the summer.  I intend to see The Resolution through, so I will be posting them over the next few weeks.

We have been going to an area fruit market to buy fresh peaches.  They are the best peaches I've ever eaten.  They are wonderful sliced up for a yummy snack.  I have also eaten a few standing over the kitchen sink with juice running down my arms.  They have been fantastic for baking.   Here are a couple of peach recipes.

Recipe #14:

Peach Crisp

Table of Contents:
-  Peaches - peeled and sliced
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1 c. chilled butter

How To:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Layer peaches in a 9x9 baking dish ( I think I used 5 or 6).  In large bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender until it looks like pea-size crumbs.  Sprinkle crumbs over peaches.  Bake 30-40 minutes until lightly golden.

The Outcome:
This recipe was good, but just not quite what I was hoping for.  I cut the flour to 1 cup and put in 1 cup of oatmeal.  I used half white sugar and half brown sugar.  Also I couldn't make myself use a whole cup of butter, so I cut that in half.  Perhaps a less than perfect outcome was my fault???

So, I kept searching for another peach dessert recipe.  Here is my next try - Recipe #15:

Southern Peach Cobbler

Table of Contents:
- Peaches - peeled and sliced (I used 6 large peaches)
- 1/4 c. white sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 2 t. cornstarch

- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. white sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
-  6 T. butter
- 1/4 c. boiling water

How To:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In large bowl combine peaches, 1/4 c. white sugar, 1/4 c. brown sugar, spices, lemon juice, and cornstarch.  Toss to coat evenly.  Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 c. white sugar, 1/4 c. brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Stir in water until just combined.  Remove peaches from oven and drop spoonfuls of flour mixture over them.  Sprinkle entire cobbler with a mixture of 3 T. white sugar and 1 t. ground cinnamon.  Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

The Outcome:
This is sooooo good.  I have made it 3 times now and am hoping to get a few more rounds of fresh peaches for whipping up another recipe or two of this.

I threw out the 1st peach recipe and kept this one.

Be back someday soon with The Other White Meat and maybe more!


No comments:

Post a Comment