Friday, April 16, 2010

And Now (Drum Roll, Please!) . . . A Word From The Drummer Guy

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

"Then JESUS told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15:3-7
What image does a drum-set bring to your mind? A dark, smoky bar or a loud rock concert? Heavy metal or punk music on the radio? I think it is humorous that God chose to use drums as an “instrument” [pun intended!] of correction and discipline in my life.

Most of my life was up and down spiritually. I would go to church and/or listen to a radio Bible teacher for awhile. Then I would live like God didn’t exist. I didn’t engage in what most people would think of as terribly sinful things. But by not studying God’s Word, praying, and obeying Him, I was going my own way and that is as bad as any other sin you can commit. It was when I was doing my own thing that God used the drum-set for good in my life.

My kids were older and I was alone, so I decided to do something I like – buy a drum-set and take lessons. While I was taking lessons, my teacher, Ginger Z, told me of a local church that was looking for a praise band drummer. And, they would pay for it! I tried out and they liked me. I thought I would go Sunday mornings, play my drums, but probably not stick around for any preaching. But, in the end, I decided to stay for the rest of the service after playing. God used that to bring my wonderful, beautiful wife into my life AND to get me faithfully attending church, listening to the Bible on CD, memorizing HIS word, and praying and seeking God’s will like I never have before in my 50+ years of life.

Thanks be to THE GOOD SHEPHERD who wouldn’t let His stupid sheep stay wandering!! Isn’t it funny that God can use such silly things like music? He used an accordion (of all things!) in my younger days to bring me back into HIS GOOD WILL, and now my drums.

I have come to look at my drums as an Instrument for His Glory. I’m looking forward to marching to the beat of HIS drum and living to please HIM. I am so blessed!


1 comment: