Thursday, April 15, 2010

Delayed Gratification

This evening we dined on the recipe I was planning to serve last night before I was derailed by the words, "cover tightly and refrigerate overnight". But on the up side, it was really fabulous to do nothing more to prepare supper than pop a casserole in the oven after a long day at work. So here it is, Recipe #9:

WAFFLE CASSEROLE

Table of Contents:
-1 pound bulk pork sausage (I used 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean Maple flavored sausage)
-6 frozen waffles, toasted and cubed
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-6 eggs, lightly beaten (I used Egg Beaters)
-2 cups milk
-1 teaspoon dry mustard (I did not have any of this - I Google it and found that you can sub 1 tablespoon of prepared mustard for 1 teaspoon of dry mustard. Isn't Google great!)
-1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
-Maple-flavored syrup (optional)

How To:
In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned; drain off fat. Arrange 1/2 of the waffles in a 2-quart greased baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the sausage and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, mustard and pepper. Pour over layers in dish. Now, guess what we do next: Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight! Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, drizzle with syrup.

The Outcome:
Mark and I both say this recipe is a keeper. I especially liked the crispier waffles at the edge of the casserole. I drizzled 1/2 of my serving with the syrup and found that it tasted good with or without it. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake. I've never baked with Egg Beaters before, so I don't know if that was the reason for the extended baking time or not. I will definitely make this again but will change a few things to up the yum-factor. The sausage I used had a very mild flavor, so I would use something with a bit more spice next time. It could also use a little salt.

Overall, it was worth waiting an extra day for!

No comments:

Post a Comment